Monday, November 24, 2008

More roots

Ever since I scored this '86 Diamond Back Strike Zone, I've kinda been listening to a lot of stuff that I listened to back in the day while I was riding, including various Def Jam groups like Run DMC and Public Enemy. I gotta say, I miss the days in hip-hop when samples were cheap and DJs could pretty much mix together whatever the hell they wanted. One of my all-time favorite old school cuts is "Beats to the Rhyme" by Run DMC (starts @ about 0:50)...



The main sample for that song comes from "Nautilus" by Bob James (listen at the 3:30 mark)...



Love the way they used that sample. 100% genius. It's too bad that record companies started charging out the ass for the use of samples of their songs, that killed a lot of the creativity in hip-hop, especially for up-and-comers who can't afford to clear a bunch of tracks...

No comments: