Friday, June 13, 2008

Style Wars

When I was in NYC, I stayed with Luke Stiles, aka "the man who knows everybody." In his video collection he had a documentary called Style Wars. I first saw this doc when it was originally aired on PBS in the early '80s. I was probably 8 or 9 at the time, and this thing completely blew me away. It got me interested in many of the things I've been into for the past 25 years or so.

Tom L. and I watched Style Wars late one night at Luke's, and it was killer to see it again after all this time. Apparently the DVD you can order from the website has a second doc called "Style Wars: Revisited" which I'm assuming follows up with some of the guys that were featured in the first one. Definitely interested in checking that out.

If you're into tagging, hip-hop, streetwear, urban art, etc., then you need to see this vid. Like they say, if you wanna wear the boots, you gotta know the roots...

2 comments:

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

This documentary rules...

JohnTS said...

Fans,

Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant's historic PBS documentary Style Wars tracks the rise and fall of subway graffiti in New York in the late 1970s and early 1980s, is now available for viewing on iTunes.

Just click the link below and you will be brought straight to the iTunes Store for viewing: http://tracking.newvideo.com/fclick.php?34